Ready to create a beginner at home Makerspace for your kids to get creative and messy?
Whoo-hoo! Yeah! But what do you put in it? There are so many cool gadgets, toys, and supplies.
Well we’re here to give you our essential supply list! We’ll introduce you to the tools and supplies we consider essential for a beginner at home Makerspace. This is perfect for elementary and can be modified with more advanced materials for middle and high school.
What we are looking for in a beginner Makerspace:
- Beginner. These are the essentials to start off with. Decided you want to get into electronics? Add-on later. But these will get the ball rolling right along.
- Budget-friendly. No need to sink a bunch of money on a 3D printer or other gadgets from the get-go. You can add that later as you like.
- Easy to find tools & supplies. You can start on a beginner Makerspace today!
Beginner Makerspace tools
These tools should be something you have at home, easily found at a second-hand store, or purchase inexpensively. We have a printable list of all supplies and tools for you at the bottom of the post.
- Ruler (metal preferred)
- Cardboard cutter (Scissors, Cardboard saw, Serrated butter knife, Exacto knife)
- Glue gun
- Hole punch
- Needle-nosed pliers
Beginner Makerspace supplies
Again these are things you may already have at home or can be purchase inexpensively. Start saving up reusables like lids and containers. You don’t need all of this from the get-go but these are the beginning supplies we suggest. Keep scrolling to download this as a printable list.
- Pens and pencils for marking things to be cut
- Used but clean plastic bottles of all shapes and sizes
- Lids and containers
- Craft sticks
- Paper clips
- Rubber bands
- Scotch tape
- Masking tape
- Duct tape
- Colored construction paper
- Foam sheets of various colors
- String (several weights -Thread, Kite string, Masonry line, Rope)
- Balloons (empty)
- Cardboard tubes from paper
- towels, toilet paper, etc.
- 3 x 5 note cards
- Extra: bench vise
- Extra: coping saw
Want more Makerspace info? Head over to our full DIY Makerspace Page to explore more!
What projects go with this beginner Makerspace?
Oh so much! I can’t even list it because my kids are creating things that I never would have even thought of. They can just get crafty, try some STEAM challenges, design machines…
The BEST thing they can create is something they’ve thought up themselves – so you can just let them loose! If you want to kick start that process a little, you can head over and print our free Super STEAM Dice.
Roll the dice for a project! Build ___ from ____ that can ____.
So there you have it! A super easy Makerspace to help those kids those kids brains thinking. Let us know how it goes or send us pics of YOUR Makerspace. You can comment here or tag us on social @STEAMthinkers.
Want the Printable Checklist?
We know you are ready to get going on your very own Beginner At Home Makerspace. Your kids will love it! To help out, click below to grab the printable checklist of tools and supplies.
Or find it all in one place in our Free Membership ->